Discount Tire Direct's Privacy Notice for California and Virginia Residents
Last Updated: January 1, 2023
Any terms defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA") or the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act ("VCDPA") (collectively, "applicable law") have the same meaning when used in this notice. "Personal information" shall mean any information processed by Discount Tire Direct that classifies as personal information, personal data, or a similar term under applicable law.
As discussed in more detail below, Discount Tire Direct respects the personal information of its customers and other consumers. Discount Tire Direct only collects your personal information if it has a legitimate business purpose. We do not share your personal information with a third party without sufficient contractual and technical safeguards that ensure the reasonable security of your personal information, and we do not sell your personal information for monetary consideration to third parties.
Information We Collect
Discount Tire Direct collects personal information through its brick and mortar locations, websites, apps, and social media accounts. In the previous twelve (12) months, Discount Tire Direct has collected the following categories of personal information from some of its customers:
|Category of Personal Information||Retention Period|
|A: Identifiers (e.g. real name, postal address, internet protocol address, email address, driver's license identification number)||As long as useful for a business purpose and no longer than is reasonably necessary for the purposes that the personal information was collected. Some purposes, such as maintaining a customer's account, require that we retain information for the life of the customer relationship.|
|B: Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)) (e.g. name, address, telephone number, driver's license identification number)||As long as useful for a business purpose and no longer than is reasonably necessary for the purposes that the personal information was collected. Some purposes, such as maintaining a customer's account, require that we retain information for the life of the customer relationship.|
|C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law (e.g. age, gender)||As long as useful for a business purpose and no longer than is reasonably necessary for all purposes that the personal information was collected.|
|D: Commercial Information (e.g. records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies)||As long as useful for a business purpose and no longer than is reasonably necessary for the purposes that the personal information was collected. Some purposes, such as maintaining a customer's account, require that we retain information for the life of the customer relationship.|
|F: Internet or other similar network activity (e.g. browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer's interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement)||As long as useful for a business purpose and no longer than is reasonably necessary for all purposes that the personal information was collected.|
|G: Geolocation data (e.g. geographic location)||As long as useful for a business purpose and no longer than is reasonably necessary for all purposes that the personal information was collected.|
|H: Sensory Data (e.g. audio recordings of telephone calls with our call center)||As long as useful for a business purpose and no longer than is reasonably necessary for all purposes that the personal information was collected.|
|K: Inferences drawn of the consumer (e.g. consumer profile information)||As long as useful for a business purpose and no longer than is reasonably necessary for all purposes that the personal information was collected.|
|L.1: A consumer's social security, driver's license, state identification card, or passport number||As long as necessary to verify your identify in accordance with a fleet management program to which you below.|
|L.2: A consumer's account log-in, financial account, debit card, or credit card number in combination with any required security or access code, password, or credentials allowing access to an account||As long as you maintain an account with us that requires a username and password.|
|L.3: A consumer's precise geolocation||As long as necessary to achieve the purpose for which you gave us permission to use your precise geolocation information.|
The examples listed above are illustrative and may not reflect the specific pieces of information we collect from any particular customer, nor do they provide a complete list of the specific pieces of information for each category. Personal information does not include information that falls outside of the definition of personal information under applicable law or is excluded from the applicable law's scope.
Source of Personal Information
Discount Tire Direct collects your personal information from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, we obtain information from you when you fill out forms, provide us information at our stores, online, over the phone, or when using one of our apps, purchase or receive products or services from us, or choose to participate in certain programs.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing and analyzing your actions on our website, our apps, our advertisements, or social media websites.
- From service providers and/or third parties that provide consumer information services related to Discount Tire Direct's known or potential customers.
Purpose for Collection of Personal Information
We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to purchase our products or services, we will use that information to process your order and facilitate installation and delivery of our products or services. We may also save your information to facilitate future purchases or process returns.
- To provide notice to consumers of tires, wheels, and related products that have been recalled by a governmental entity, including the United States Department of Transportation, and facilitate the recall of such products.
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Website, products, and services.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your relationship and account with us.
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- To personalize your experience on our Site.
- To deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to potential customers' interests, including targeted offers and ads through our website, third-party sites, and via email or text message (with consent, where required by law).
- To learn about our customers' experiences with our services and what they say and think about Discount Tire Direct.
- To identify potential customers who are similar to our existing customers.
- To manage our communication and outreach to our existing customers.
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Site, our products and services, databases and other technology assets, and business.
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Site, our products, and services.
- To verify your identity and protect against error and fraud.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in applicable law.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Discount Tire Direct's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Discount Tire Direct about our customers is among the assets transferred.
Discount Tire Direct will provide you notice if it collects additional categories of personal information or uses previously collected personal information for additional purposes.
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
In the preceding twelve (12) months, Discount Tire Direct has disclosed the following categories of personal information, as identified above, for a business purpose to the following service providers and/or third parties:
- We share information in categories A, B, C, D, F, G, and H with our service providers, transaction processors, and advertising providers to help us run our business.
- We share information in categories A and B with companies that participate in our Discount Tire Direct Fleet Program as necessary to verify identity and protect against error and fraud.
- We share content posted on our social media platforms (e.g., if a consumer "comments" on a story) with other consumers. Such posts may include personal information in categories A and B, but the content depends on the individual posts
- We share all of our information, including your personal information, with our subsidiaries and affiliates in connection with providing the Services to you
Sales of Personal Information and Targeted Advertising
- Identifiers (e.g. name, email address, IP addresses).
- Commercial information (e.g. purchase history).
- Internet or other similar network activity.
- Geolocation data.
Categories of third parties to whom personal information is provided include
- Data analytics providers; and
- Advertising and marketing providers.
You can opt out of our tracking technologies for analytics and advertising service providers by clicking the Do Not Sell My Personal Information link or by broadcasting the Global Privacy Control ("GPC") signal during your browsing session. Please note that your use of our website will still be tracked by Discount Tire Direct and its Service Providers.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, Discount Tire Direct has not knowingly sold personal information of consumers under the age of sixteen (16) years of age.
Your Rights and Choices
Applicable laws provide consumers with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your rights and explains how to exercise those rights. Please note that applicables laws may contain certain limitations and exceptions may apply.
Right to Know Categorical and Specific Information
You have the right to request that Discount Tire Direct disclose categorical and specific information to you about our collection, sale, and sharing of your personal information. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of your personal information we collected, sold, or shared.
- The categories of sources from which your personal information we collected.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling, or sharing your personal information.
- The categories of third parties to whom we disclose, sell, or share your personal information.
- The categories of your personal information we disclosed to a recipient for a business purpose and the categories of recipients to whom it was disclosed.
- The specific pieces of your personal information we collected.
Right to Correct Inaccurate Personal Information
If Discount Tire Direct maintains inaccurate personal information about you, you have the right to request that we correct these inaccuracies. After receiving notice of these inaccuracies, Discount Tire Direct will make reasonable efforts to correct your personal information throughout our systems and networks.
Right of Deletion
You have the right to request that Discount Tire Direct delete your personal information that we have retained, subject to certain exceptions allowed by applicable law. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies. If an exception applies, we will not delete your personal information that falls under the exception and will only process your personal information for purposes or under circumstances allowed by applicable law.
Right to Opt-Out of the Sale of Personal Information and Targeted Advertising
California consumers have the right to opt-out of the sale and sharing of your personal information as those terms are defined under the CCPA. Virginia consumers have the right to opt out of the processing of personal data for purposes of targeting advertising, the sale of personal data, or profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning the consumer as those terms are defined under the VCDPA.
We do not sell your personal information for monetary consideration. However, our use of tracking technologies may be considered a "sale" or "sharing" of personal information under the CCPA and are used for purposes of targeting advertising to you. You can opt out of being tracked by these third parties and targeted advertising by clicking the "Do Not Sell my Information" link, by submitting an Opt Out privacy request, or by broadcasting the GPC signal.
Discount Tire Direct honors and responds to the GPC signal. Please note that when your browser broadcasts the GPC signal, we will limit the functionality of our website and prevent the website from transmitting your personal information to third parties. We will also treat this signal as a verified request to stop selling your personal information and stop processing your information for purposes of targeted advertising. However, the GPC signal does not fully identify you by name or email address. Therefore, we may not be able to honor this request for other interactions you may have or have had with Discount Tire Direct. You may also submit a Opt Out privacy request with your email, phone number and other personal information for us to complete the opt-out process.
If you visit our website from a different computer or device, or clear cookies on your browser that store your preferences, you will need to return to this website to opt-out or rebroadcast the GPC signal.
To exercise the access, correction, deletion, and opt-out rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at 1-855-965-2414; or
- Visiting https://dt-privacyportal-ui.merudata.app/privacy-request/discounttiredirect/customer.
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
Applicable law may limit the number of times you may make a verifiable consumer request in a certain time period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
In order to verify your identify, we will ask you for information related to a recent transaction you made at Discount Tire Direct or other personal information that only you would reasonably know. If you use an Authorized Agent to make your request, we will ask the Authorized Agent to have you fill out a form that certifies your use of an Authorized Agent and provides information related to a recent transaction you made at Discount Tire Direct or other personal information that only you would reasonably know. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request. For more information about Privacy Requests, please see our Privacy Request FAQ page.
Right to Non-Discrimination
You have the right to not be discriminated against for exercising the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA. We will not discriminate against you because you exercised any of your privacy rights, including, but not limited to, by: denying goods or services to you; charging different prices or rates for goods or services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties; providing a different level of quality of goods or services to you; or suggesting that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Right to Limit Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information
Discount Tire Direct processes a limited amount of sensitive personal information, as that term is defined under applicable law, with your consent. For example, Discount Tire Direct collects your geolocation on its website when locating the Discount Tire Direct store nearest you only after requesting your location. We also collect your username and password when you affirmatively create an account on our website. Creating an account on our website is not mandatory and you consent to our collection of this information in order to maintain your account.
Discount Tire Direct does not use or disclose your sensitive personal information for any purpose other than those specified in California Code of Regulations § 7027(m).
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to forty-five (45) additional days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Exercising Appeal Rights (Virginia Residents Only)
If Discount Tire Direct refuses to take action on a request, you may appeal our decision by submitting an Appeal Request. Please refer to the communication you received from Discount Tire Direct refusing your request for additional information you may need to provide in making you appeal request. Within sixty (60) days of receipt of an appeal, Discount Tire Direct will inform you in writing of any action taken or not taken in response to your appeal. If the appeal is denied, Discount Tire Direct will provide you with an online mechanism or other method though which you may contact the Virginia Attorney General to submit a complaint.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
Discount Tire Direct reserves the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will post the updated notice on this Website and update the notice's effective date. Your continued use of our Website following the posting of changes constitutes your receipt of notice and acceptance of such changes.